True friendship is hard to find and even harder to keep! Many people don't realize this fact, which ultimately harms their relationships. When friends clasp their two hands, five plus five, ten fingers come closer to each other. If you want to keep those fingers close forever, you must give some efforts towards the relationship. Here I would like to tell you about some genuine tips.
Guidelines For Lasting Friendship
- To be friend, you must be a good listener. It was Benjamin Disraeli who said, nature has given us two ears, but only one mouth. The ears cannot be closed whereas the mouth can be closed. Once a word leaves your mouth, you cannot get it back. Think twice before you speak anything. You are the master of the unspoken word; you become a slave of the spoken word. Listen not only with your ears, but with your heart.
- You must learn to appreciate others. Do not find fault with others in the midst of people. Leonardo da Vinci has said: "Blame in private, but praise in public."
- If you would be a true friend, you must grow in the sprit of forgiveness.
- Never forget a friend's name, because that lapse on your part can never be pardoned. That will show up your insincerity.
- Make promises sparingly, but when you make one, fulfil it with the least delay.
- You must not preach what you do not practice yourself.
- Be cheerful; smile as much as you can. Learn to laugh. Laughter is a good mental tonic. Don't laugh at others. You may laugh at yourself.
- Discuss, but do not argue. You may win an argument, but lose a friend.
- Do not feel hurt when friends criticize you. Whenever you find yourself in the wrong, admit it.
- If you want to win friends, you must be on the look out for opportunities to serve them. The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Emerson has said: 'The only way to get a friend is to be a friend'. And Henry Davidson has said: 'Radiate friendship, and it will be returned tenfold'.